North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten (NC Pre-K) formally known as More at Four Pre-Kindergarten Program is a state-funded, community-based pre-kindergarten program designed to provide 4-year-old children, who may not otherwise be served, with a valuable educational experience. This part-day program provides young children with access to a specific curriculum and preschool experience to enhance their school readiness. The NC Pre-K Program standards are built on the premise that in order to be academically successful in school, children need to be prepared in all five of the major domains of development outlined by the National Education Goals Panel. Each of these domains is critical to children's well being, in particular for their success in reading and math as they come to school. The five domains are:
- Health and physical development
- Social and emotional development
- Language development and communication
- Cognition and general knowledge
- Approaches toward learning
NC Pre-K operates on the public school calendar. Children will be required to have a health assessment, including dental and vision, upon enrollment. A developmental assessment will also be provided to identify special needs and monitor growth in the program. Children also receive family support, and other community resources as needed.
What Does NC Pre-K Offer?
- A high quality early childhood learning environment for children with developmental, social, and familial risk factors that may affect their success in school.
- Family support regarding health, nutrition, developmental screening and placement for children with special needs.
- Kindergarten Transition Coordination to support families and children as a child moves from pre-kindergarten to ensure a successful start in school.
For Lincoln County Residents Only
LINCOLN COUNTY APPLICATION NC PRE-K/TITLE 1 PROGRAM
The Lincoln County NC Pre-K program is looking for children living in Lincoln County who will be four years of age on or before August 31, 2016 and who MAY QUALIFY for its program. You will receive notification if your child is accepted. If you would like to know if your child qualifies, please complete and return this application form along with the following:
- a copy of your child's PROOF of AGE (certified birth certificate OR if you do not have a certified birth certificate for your child you may submit the health record showing child's birthdate and signed by your child's health care provider),
- a copy of your child’s social security card if he/she has one,
- income verification (Pay Stubs OR Tax records OR Award letters from the Social Security Administration OR Award letters from the Employment Security Commission OR Signed employer statements OR Business records for self-employed individuals OR Signed statements when an individual claims to have no verifiable countable income).
- two proofs of residency (No cell phone bills. Must be power bill, cable bill, etc.)
Your answers to the following questions will help us determine your child’s eligibility. Please answer all questions as accurately as possible.
Applications are also available at the Partnership for Children of Lincoln & Gaston Counties office and may be submitted there. The office is located at 120 Roechling Street, Dallas, NC 28034.
GASTON COUNTY NC-PRE K PROGRAM ONLY
For Gaston County Residents contact Linda McConnell, Director, Pre-Kindergarten Services, Gaston County Schools, 704-866-6124 or come by our office at 366 West Garrison Blvd., Gastonia. Or visit their website, http://gaston.k12.nc.us/Domain/130